Chrysler explored the possibilities of a turbine-powered car before WWII. After the war and having developed a fuel-efficient turboprop engine for the military, Chrysler engineers saw some interesting advantages to a turbine power plant: major reduction in parts, high engine life expectancy and no tune-ups! In 1956 an experimental gas turbine engine in a four-door Plymouth sedan made a 3,000 mile transcontinental trip from the Chrysler Building in New York City to City Hall in Los Angeles. Only minor problems—none with the engine—occurred during the trip, but fuel consumption using unleaded gas and kerosene was high (13mpg). Research continued and several more models were released including the1960s “Turboflite” which sported retractable headlights, a deceleration foil and an automatic canopied roof. The turbine-powered car research was discontinued in the late 1981.